National Honor Society gets New Advisers, New Leadership

Back to Article
Back to Article

This year marks a new beginning for many things all over Hug High School. This includes the many clubs here on campus. For National Honor Society this means new advisers, new policies, and new members. This year is the first year of advisers Mrs. Revilleza and Mr. Eaton, as well as new officers.
When asked what her goals are for this year Mrs. Revilleza stated, “I’m hoping this year, students will be more involved on campus as well as the greater community.” She also stated that she doesn’t want to personally change anything, instead allowing the new officers to take control while still being around for guidance as needed: “I’m a teacher/adviser that believes in student self-advocacy!”

I’m a teacher/advisor that believes in student self-advocacy!”

— Mrs. Revilleza, Adviser

Along with new advisers, NHS also has new officers for the 2019-2020 school year, Destiny Zepeda, President, Jason Cruz, Vice President, Yesenia Ruiz Garcia, Secretary, and Emily Mejia, Treasurer. Their first official meeting as officers was on August 29th where they spoke about the new bylaws for this year. The new bylaws include a few minor changes to volunteer hours and recruitment policies in order to help the club grow.
There will also be club recruitment beginning in October where all sophomores that ended their freshman year with a 3.75 GPA or higher will get an invitation to apply to become an NHS member. Any qualified juniors interested in joining may also turn in an application but will also have to speak with the officers as this is not normally allowed. Joining is optional but being an NHS member is a beneficial addition to college applications and a great opportunity to serve the community.
With many new changes being made this year for NHS, we look forward to how these changes will impact our campus as well as our community.