(Kevin Thomas)

Kevin Thomas

Hug and Traner Leadership Co-Host Spooky Assembly

November 8, 2019

This Halloween, the Hug jazz band, mariachi band, and drill team performed for a spooky blacklit assembly at Traner Middle School run by student leadership from both Hug and Traner, warning middle schoolers of the scariest thing they would encounter this Halloween. It wasn’t monsters or haunted houses, but rather unsafe trick-or-treating. Students from both schools and even elected officials attended to encourage middle schoolers to be safe and aware of traffic safety in the wake of 17 car accidents involving students this year.

Traner students played Halloween-themed games under a blacklight, accompanied by Hug jazz and mariachi bands playing in the background. Later, guest speakers affirmed the importance of pedestrian safety. 

“The assembly went very well,” said Jason Cruz, a senior on the Hug leadership team. Hug students were impressed with the middle schoolers’ involvement.

“Those kids got really excited about what we did,” said Angel Ocampo, a junior performing with both the Mariachi band and drill team. “We managed to get a lot of the middle schoolers riled up,” added Cruz. 

In addition to warning kids about the dangers of unsafe trick-or-treating, the assembly served as a training ground for Traner’s leadership team, who were put in charge of poster design and some of the presentation. Hug leadership selected three students from Traner’s leadership class to help host the assembly. Cruz said the assembly helped leadership students to get a feel for how Hug’s leadership runs things. 

More so than the assembly’s success, a touching moment and Cruz’s favorite came during National Anthem. Romello S., a Traner student, sang the national anthem, but got nervous and stopped singing part of the way through. He was promptly joined by a chorus of Hug and Traner students supporting him. 

The assembly was larger than the scope of the two schools. Elected officials, including Nevada governor Steve Sisolak, also attended. Kolo8 News reported on the assembly.