How to Pass Your Finals With Only a Few Weeks Left

With the end of the semester coming near comes the beginning of finals week. Hopefully, with roughly thirteen weeks of school, most people would be prepared for their finals in all of their classes. After so much rigorous studying for each and every class, all students should be ready for finals, right? Although all teachers hope their students are well prepared for their finals, many are not. So, what do you do if you haven’t necessarily been paying as much attention as you should’ve been? Well, although it’s not recommended, there are many ways to efficiently study with only a few weeks left.

Step One: Figure out what you need to study. 

The first thing you should do is take out any notes you have, whether it’s one page or a whole notebook. If you were given a study guide for your finals take that out too, because that will save you a lot of time. Once you have taken all of these out, look through them and mark off what you do and don’t understand, it’ll be easier to study once you know what you need to study.

Step Two: Studying 

The next steps depend on the class you need to study for.

For math and science classes it is important you understand the major concepts enough to be able to do them each once or twice on a test. For these classes, Khan Academy and Crash Course are going to be your best friend. Just go on either website and look up which specific concept you need to learn. Crash Course is also going to be very helpful for many different subjects as they have a wide range of topics (no this is not an ad). If you’re on a time restraint try putting the playback speed up on the video but make sure you still understand what’s going on.

As for English, try making sure you understand whatever your final is going to be on. For example, if your final is writing an essay, make sure you know how to write an effective essay while also doing so quickly. For English classes, try picking up a grammar book or looking up “how to write an essay.”

For language classes, try asking a friend to let you see their notes and help you with your studying, then practice what you’re learning, whether it’s having a conversation in the language, writing sentences, or maybe listening to somebody else speak. Or try looking up “how to quickly learn a language.”

Step Three: Memorizing
Once you do a bit of research trying to figure out what’s going on, get to memorizing everything you just learned. There are multiple memorizing hacks out there, hopefully, you already know which you learn best with. But if you don’t, try flashcards (or Quizlet for premade flashcards), repeating them out loud, writing them down over and over again, or creating some sort of way that you personally will remember important facts, like making connections or acronyms. If you do know which learning style you learn best with, use that to your advantage in both learning and memorizing what you’re studying. If you still have some time it’s better to space out everything you have to study instead of cramming it all in one night.

But if your final is tomorrow morning then you don’t have many options…

Step Four: Studying Hacks

Even if you’re studying for days you can still learn nothing if you don’t study the right way. Use the following tips to help ensure your studying is as beneficial as possible.

-Take a break every once in a while so you can be as focused as possible while you’re studying instead of constantly getting distracted.

-Can’t focus? Get up, walk around, maybe have a light snack, and once you’re ready, get back to the books

-Still can’t focus after taking a break? Try changing the subject you’re studying.

-It’s also a good idea to quickly review whatever you’ve been studying right before you go to bed as it will help you memorize it faster.

-Stay as focused as possible when you’re studying and make sure to get rid of all distractions and maybe listen to some classical music to help boost your brain.

-Last but not least, remember it’s okay to cry.

Hopefully, after all these tips, you’re somewhat more prepared than you were before. But if worst comes to worst, if you have multiple choice, pick one letter and select that for every question as you are more likely to get more correct this way than if you pick random answers for every question. As for next semester, make sure you pay attention so you can ace your finals on your own.  But if you don’t, come read this article again. Good luck and happy studying!