Hug Hawks Go Green with Green Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hug Hawks Go Green with Green Club

Green Hawks is an organization that raises awareness of environmental issues by promoting solutions to environmental problems. We connect, network, and partner with community organizations to help with local initiatives. We encourage sustainability and getting involved through hikes, school events, the campus garden, campus clean-ups, and advocating for project and resource improvements. We support each other, our school, and our community by living more sustainably.

Recently, Hug High School’s Green Hawks, also known as the green club, participated in a park clean-up in partnership with Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful (KTMB). Twelve students attended and they were able to collect 200 pounds of trash. Needless to say, it was a huge success and the students are proud of themselves for making a difference for the community.

The students in Green Hawks strive to promote sustainability and community within the club. The Green Hawks council consists of President Naomi Gutierrez; Vice President Kimberley Romero; Secretary Michelle Correa; Co-Treasurers, Alissa Velasco, Irene Oliva, and Moises Zuno; History and Advocacy Officer, Amy Bustos; Garden Coordinators/Community Sustainability Representatives, Grecia Henriet and Estefani Orozco. They and all the other club members work together to create a really inclusive environment to help create awareness on sustainability, and they are always looking for new members. They meet in A6 every Wednesday and they encourage everyone to join if they are interested in helping the environment and/or living sustainability. It also offers fun volunteer hours for students that need them. The next park clean-up is planned for December 2nd from 3:00 to 4:00pm at Paradise Park. See the posters around campus for more information on how to RSVP for the clean-up!