Love’s Labor’s Lost Student Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Love’s Labor’s Lost Student Review

Leann Stick, Staff Writer

Although it may be hard for the average high school student to completely comprehend Shakespeare play, between the iambic pentameter and oftentimes odd subject matter, the Hug High Harlequin’s rendition of the classic made it entertaining for the entire audience. Friday’s closing show was the final bang, and the actors certainly made a good impression. Love’s Labor’s Lost was one of William Shakespeare’s earliest comedies and was represented wonderfully by the theatre students of Hug.

Love’s Labor’s Lost is about the King of Navarre and his three lords: Berowne, Dumaine, and Longaville. The King and his three lords take a vow of academics, which includes restrictions such as fasting, not sleeping, and not seeing women for 3 years. The same day the men take this vow, the Princess of France shows up to Navarre with her three ladies: Rosaline, Katherine, and Maria. This presents a problem for the four men, because as soon as they meet the women, they all want to break their vows.

The acting was excellent, nobody forgot lines or had problems emoting. The movements of the actors weren’t awkward, and no one was standing around idly waiting for their lines. Although there was an actor who played multiple characters, she made distinct changes to her acting and appearance as not to confuse the audience. What was most impressive about the acting was the complete absence of nervousness: all the actors were completely comfortable in front of an audience (when nervousness can be distracting to the audience). The set of the play was simplistic in its design, which was perfect for this play, as the focus should be on the dialogue. The props that were used were all appropriate and realistic.

One element that particularly stood out was the modernization of the classic. In their rendition, the couples were all dressed in a similar fashion. Berowne and Rosaline were an e-boy/e-girl couple, Dumain and Katherine were dressed in athletic clothing, and Longaville and Maria were dressed as nerds. This made all of the couples easy to follow for the audience, as well as made it relevant for an audience of today’s adolescence. Dollar Shakespeare has been a tradition at Hug for many years. Because all the scripts are free, Mr. Roberts, the play director, is able to charge very little, only $1, for the Shakespeare plays. Because Shakespeare plays are very cost effective, in the future I’d like to see more Shakespeare plays from the Hug theatre. The Taming of the Shrew or The Merchant of Venice would be an excellent choice for another comedy, and something I’d love to see from the theatre. Although comedies are always a hit, a tragedy like Antony and Cleopatra or a classic like Hamlet would also be very entertaining.