Music To Our Ears: Hug’s Record Breaking Orchestra Performance

Patty J. Fahey, Staff Writer

Hug High School’s music program has been growing and flourishing over these past years. This year, our very own Sinfonia Orchestra did the best in Hug High School history at the Washoe County Orchestra Festival!

The Washoe County Orchestra Festival is an event where many middle and high schools perform for judges to receive critics on their work as well as a score for the performance. The scoring scale is 1 to 4, 1 being the best rating of “superior”. This year our dedicated Sinfonia Orchestra received all superior ratings for their pieces for the first time in Hug history. This is a huge accomplishment as it rates our Sinfonia Orchestra as one of the top high school orchestras in the district.

The Sinfonia Orchestra, directed by Ms. Jane Brown, is a group of highly dedicated hug students that all share a deep love for music. It consists of violin, viola, cello, bass, and piano players that have been playing music for multiple years. They meet as a 0 period which means they get to school at 6:45 am every day, they work hard and are truly dedicated to the orchestra. They played three different pieces at the festival, by composers Antonino Vivaldi, Johannes Brahms, and Gaspar Sanz. They have worked on these pieces for about 2 months now and it seems all the hard work has paid off. Congratulations to all of the hard-working students!