Communities in Schools give Hope to many Hug Students, community members

“Never ending. We live here.” Elisha Harris answers after I asked what his and Kirstie Terrobias’ usual work schedule looks like. Even as I was asking these questions, they were working their hardest.

Elisha Harris has been working at Hug in the Communities in Schools program for more than three years, but this is Kirstie’s first year. the job that these two wonderful people have is an important stepping stone for the students that attend Hug High.

Working alongside students who may not have the best living situations, they help students and parents keep their stomach full, have other options for clothes, and keep backup school supplies and hygiene products in their office.

Harris and Terrobias are thoughtful people and look at Hug as a misunderstood community. When asked whether they think Hug is a good school they answered the question completely honestly.
“Because of our reputation and the connotation Hug has on people is negative,” Terrobias says as she looks up at me for the first time during the interview, still busy and working
“I feel like this school is mostly filled with brown kids and kids in low economic status and that makes everyone see them as bad kids,” Harris speaks after a moment of silence.

“Another one of our goals is to creating diversity here,” Kirstie pitches in. As she goes onto explain the want of helping others celebrate their cultures, rather than feel ashamed.

It’s clear that the Communities in Schools workers are very honest and hardworking people on this campus. They are always there if someone needs help, whether it be food for dinner or just an open ear. Their office is locked in A-15, along with the food pantry.