Spring Sports Spring New Hope for Hug Athletes

As the winter season ends, we say a farewell to winter sports and hello to the spring ones. So, what are the spring sports you may ask. Well the spring sports offered at Hug include Swimming, Track and field, Baseball, Softball, and more.
Hug did exceptionally well at our winter sports (coming in second at the cheer competition, and going to playoffs for basketball), but will hopefully do even better in our spring sports. First off for spring sports is Swimming and Dive.
The team consists of Taryn Law, Ulysses Saucedo, Hannalea Weinzweig, Thomas Johnson, Arturo Juarez, and Phillip Dobbins. While they are the only members on the team, their spirit is never deterred.
“Students come here expecting swim to be recreational, but it’s not that simple! Swimming is actually a tough sport, and that’s why so many people quit!” says Coach Squatrito. Not only do students on the team have determination to swim, but also hope to achieve regionals time.
“Since the team is so small, we don’t expect to win! It’s about putting in your best effort and trying! Hopefully we can make it to regionals!” says Coach Willoughby.
Another exemplary underdog of a sport is Track and Field. “This years track team is one of the smallest we’ve ever had. But they work hard, they’re committed, and they’re positive”, says Head Coach Young.
So far, our track athletes have competed in 5 major track meets, all of which proved to be opportunities for the Hug Hawks to exhibit their talent and tireless work.
Four-year track athlete, Cristian Martinez says, “Practice is where the hard work really happens. [It’s] where we train to get better and grow as competitors.” Practices are held after school everyday, where athletes are trained based on the field or running events they participate in. Distance runners often find themselves leaving campus to complete a lengthy workout, averaging 2-4 miles everyday. Whereas sprinters restlessly stay on the track for an intense conditioning workout, led by -former professional sprinter- Coach Levingston. “It gives you a lot of mental toughness”, says Rionna Haymon, 2x state qualifier. “I like the improvement we’ve been seeing,” says Coach Young, “I think a few kids have a chance to go to Regional finals or maybe even state. We’ll be taking most of our team to the JV Championships so we can score some points, look good, and have a nice finish to the season”.
Without a doubt, our spring sport competitors have been putting in some serious work, doing an excellent job demonstrating what it means to be a Hug student athlete.